Google Usage Rights Filters
Remember, not all the information you find through Google is free to use. If you are trying to locate information in the form of textual content, video content, or image content that you want to use publicly or in a commercial way use the Google usage rights filters in the Advanced Search section of Google to find material that is free to use.
Introduction to Google for Business Research
Google is a powerful Internet based search engine that collects and provides material on most known topics. It can be used quite extensively for business research by doing a simple search from their standard search box to the left or at Google itself. It can also be used for scholarly research in Google Scholar. For more information on searching for business material in Google Scholar link to that section above. Also, Google is great for locating electronic books for business research with Google Books. For more information on Google Books link to that section above.
Getting Started with Google
Google is simple and easy to use and it allows for basic searching on any topic. However, the key to using Google, or any search tool, is to keep your search terms to a minimum. These are some things to think about before starting your research in Google (According to Google):
- Start simple - Use simple or basic names or phrases like finance
- Less is more - Use minimal terms to start like financial regulations
- Don't worry about punctuation - Google ignores punctuation so don't use it
- Ignore spelling - Google automatically spellchecks so if you aren't sure of a spelling don't worry about it
- Search with an exact phrase - If you want an exact phrase to come back in your search results use " " around multiple phrases like "financial regulations"
- Use descriptive words - If you can use a unique phrase use it as it is likely to return better results. For instance, use automobile rather than car
- Don't worry about cases - You can search general motors the same as General Motors
- Include or ignore words and characters in your search - Use a - and a word after it to eliminate particular items you don't want in a search results list that may typically come up if you don't specify to eliminate those items. For instance, search stock markets -new york stock exchange, which will return information about stock markets other than the New York Stock Exchange. However, note that the hyphen must have no space between it and the words you want to minus from your search.
For more tips link to the Google Tips and Tools for Business Students section above
Library Contact Information
Troy Campus Library
Phone: (248) 823-1228
Fax: (248) 689-9066
Reference Service Available
Mon. - Thurs. 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Fri. 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Sat. 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m
Sunday: Noon - 5:00 p.m.
Closed Sundays in the summer
Fall, Winter, Spring Troy Library Hours of Operation
Mon.-Thurs. 8:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m.
Fri. . 8:30 a.m. -5:00 p.m.
Saturday: 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: Noon- 5:00 p.m.
Closed Sunday in the summer.
Novi Campus Library
Phone: (248) 679-1410
Fax: (248) 823-1044
Reference Service Available
Saturday: 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Fri, & Sun: Closed
Closed Saturdays in the summer.